Trainer Search

skonvolt

Super Donor
Reaction score
This is an opinion after i tried few Steam machines:

Why do I have to pay a Steam Machine 1 200 € / $ to play on lower settings and less games than on my notebook?

I have a G751JY that is probably one of the most powerful laptop on the market, and can be found at a price of 1 600 € / $ , is fast, run every game, has it's own monitor, and i can play where i want.

A classic Steam Machine is made with:

8 GB Ram, usually DDR3 at 1600 dual channel total cost 48 € / $ amazon

CPU is usually a I5 4th generation let's take I5 4690K at a price of 244 € amazon

GPU is a GTX 960 with 128 bit 2 GB GDDR 5 at a price around 190 $ / € amazon

Mini atx motherboard is around 80 € / $ amazon

Fans and others 20 € / $ amazon

a 256 GB SSD around 80 € / $ amazon

1TB HDD, that is usually a 5400 RPM, even if 7200 RPM are far better, around 70 € / $ amazon

Power supply around 40 € / $ amazon

DVD reader 25 € / $ amazon

PATENTED CASE AND PATENTED TOOLS ( like oveclocking ) let's say 100 €/ $

One hour for building and testing 50 €/ $

OS IS FREE

A total amount of 947 € / $.

Now a little thing DELL does NOT pay the components as you pay them but the business mass market is mostly a 40 % less priced, meaning: that even if we say 30 % mass market discount is 947 -30 % = 622.9

All prices include ALL TAXES.

The only reason i can find for the very expensive Steam Machines, ( and not only DELL, that is actually one of the most honest ), is that someone ( READ MICROSOFT ) don't want developers to increase the usage of OPEN GL,

What will happen, if i don't know, ASUS and MSI start to release their Gaming Laptops with STEAM OS forcing developers to OPENGL ?

Steam os will rise and mass production of the machines will drop the price, and "REDMOND WE HAVE A PROBLEM".

This is just a a tale made on a personal opinion but trust me, is not far from the truth