Trainer Search

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Story by Fraser Brown-PCGamesN

Ark: Survival Evolved modding

Ark: Survival Evolved is ripe for a modding community to set up shop inside its dinosaur-infested forests. And it looks like Studio Wildcard is keen to facilitate this, partnering with Epic Games to provide potential modders with Unreal Engine 4 tools and developer resources so they can start working away on their projects.

“Ark provides a brilliantly creative universe for modding, and a wealth of beautiful environments and dinosaur content to build upon,” said Tim Sweeney, Epic bossman. “Many of us here began in the mod community, so we’re grateful to see Studio Wildcard open up their creative work to a new generation of programmers, artists, and designers.”

If you’ve got one of the million copies of Ark that’s been sold so far, you can start modding right away. Here’s the mod tutorial to give you a boost, and there’s a new modding forum if you are looking for collaborators or advice.

“As we’ve opened up the world of ARK to everyone, we've been seriously on the edge of our seats with anticipation. The amazing gameplay ideas lighting up the forum conversations can be turned into reality right away,” said Jesse Rapczak, Studio Wildcard co-founder and co-creative director. “The UE4 mod tools that we're providing are phenomenal, and we can’t wait to see the limitless creativity of our fans come to life in fantastic new ways.”

On Thursday, July 9th, 11am PT Rapczak will join Epic’s Chance Ivey and Alexander Paschall on Twitch, to walk prospective modders through the process, maybe sparking a few good ideas too.

I found myself surprisingly taken with Ark, despite recently feeling like the industry has reached peak sandbox. On the surface it’s like dozens of other survival sandboxes, but underneath, all the details are different, more -- god, I hate myself for saying it -- evolved.

Do any of you lovely lot fancy putting your modding skills to use in Ark?