Trainer Search

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
FALLOUT 4 / 16 JUN 2015 http://store.steampowered.com/app/377160/
E3 2015: BETHESDA'S TODD HOWARD TALKS ABOUT FALLOUT 4 MOD SUPPORT
"We are going to let people break their game."
Fallout 4 mod support will work similarly to what's possible in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, according to game director Todd Howard.

Speaking with IGN, Howard said Bethesda is planning for Fallout 4 to feature the same level of mod support as Skyrim. "So, just like Skyrim, there are mods that can break your game pretty wildly, and so we have some safety things on the console for that, but at the same time, we are going to let people break their game. Because we try heavily not to."

As for how mods will work with Fallout 4, Howard explained that players will actually "create another version of your save game." From there, you choose from the menu to play a modded game, so that way nothing terrible can happen to your main save if things break.

And don't expect heavier curation from Bethesda with Fallout 4 mods on consoles, according to Howard. At least, that's not the plan, he said.

When asked if Bethesda will approve modes before being posted through Bethesda.net, Howard said, "We don't want to. We'll see how we have to go through that.

"The plan is that it goes through Bethesda.net, but ... outside of things that we would normally take down — we take down things on Steam Workshop if it's got things that are illegal, or things like that — we'll do the same thing."

Basically, Howard explained that Bethesda wants to police mods as little as possible. The only things the publisher wants to take down are illegal stuff, according to the game director.

"Either your nudity or ****, that kind of stuff, or you're taking assets from Halo," Howard said. "Though, Microsoft might allow that. We'd have to get approval. But like, generally, if someone is using assets from another game, we have to say 'No, you can't do that.'"

Fallout 4 mod support is planned to launch early next year for PC, according to Howard. Then, they'll become transferrable to Xbox One, and after that, hopefully to PlayStation 4 as well.

Fallout 4 arrives on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on November 10. Along with the standard version of the post-apocalyptic RPG, this is also a collector's edition that comes with a Pip-Boy.

Last edited:

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Meet the voices of Fallout 4′s not-silent protagonists VG247 By Brenna Hillier
Fallout 4 introduces fully-voiced protagonists to the series for the first time. But just who are these bold heroes?
fallout_4_e3_2015_7.jpg

In Fallout 4, you create husband and wife characters during the prologue section, and choose one of these characters to play as for the rest of the game. (The fate of the other, and your baby, is unknown.)

According to a tweet from lead writer Emil Pagliarulo, Brian T. Delaney provided the voice of the the male character.

Delaney has a string of video game credits to his name including Mighty No. 9, Halo 5: Guardians, Batman: Arkham Knight, LEGO: Jurassic World, Battlefield Hardline, Evolve, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and many more. (Like seriously, so many.)

Courtenay Taylor voices the female character. She also has a long list of video game credits but she will be more recognisable to gamers as she’s had many named roles – Jack in Mass Effect, Amanda Holliday in Destiny, Juhani in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Ada Wong in Resident Evil 6 and more.

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Fallout 4 partially inspired by GTA 5
GTA 5 was one of the games Bethesda looked to when drawing inspiration for Fallout 4.
fallout_4_new_header_11.jpg

Fallout 4 has a strong heritage and award-winning prequels to call on, but that doesn’t mean the latest entry was built in a vacuum.

Gamespot asked director Todd Howard whether any games inspired the team, and got a surprising reply.

“In our games, we want to give you complete freedom. I think of the last few years, GTA 5 had succeeded the most at the same type of thing we try to do,” Howard said.

“I look at that game and think, ‘Wow, I just don’t know how they did this.’

“That’s what we try to create, that sense of going anywhere and doing anything. GTA V does it so well. It puts you in its world and it makes you its director. It says yes to the player a lot, and that’s what we try to do. It’s just a phenomenal game.”

Rockstar certainly set a high bar for Bethesda to meet. It’s great to see developers taking inspiration from each others’ successes in their desire to build better games.

The full interview, linked above, has many more interesting details and comments from Howard. Fallout 4 hits PC, PS4 and Xbox One on November 10.

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Fallout 4′s player freedom inspired by GTA 5 VG247 by Matt Martin
Todd Howard, director of Fallout 4, wants to create player freedom in his game on a par with Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto 5.
fallout_4_new_header_13.jpg

Speaking to Gamespot about influences, he said GTA 5 has been one of the most successful games at creating a sense of scale and saying “yes” to the player.

“Well, in our games, we want to give you complete freedom,” he said. “So, I think of the last few years, I think GTA 5 had succeeded the most at the same type of thing we try to do. I look at that game and think, ‘Wow, I just don’t know how they did this.’

“That’s what we try to create, that sense of going anywhere and doing anything. GTA 5 does it so well. It puts you in its world and it makes you its director. It says yes to the player a lot, and that’s what we try to do. It’s just a phenomenal game.”

Howard recently confirmed that the game will run at 1080p and 30 frames per second.

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Fallout 4 won’t have any locks on resolution and framerate on PC by Matt Purslow-PCGamesN

In case you needed any clarification, your monster PC will be able to run Fallout 4 at whatever maximum frame rate and resolution you can physically manage. Don’t be drawn in by any talk of 1080p and 30fps, that’s just for the console folk.

The terror spreading through the net waves comes from a Digital Spy article that says “Fallout 4 will run at 1080p and 30 frames-per-second on everything". That 'everything' seems to have been misinterpreted as including the PC, with people believing director Todd Howard was insinuating that the PC version of Fallout 4 would be locked to 1080p and 30 frames-per-second.

Not the case, thankfully. Bethesda have tweeted clarification that resolutions and FPS will not be limited on PC.

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Fan successfully pre-orders Fallout 4 using bottle caps

Fallout fan GatorMacheteJr has successfully pre-ordered Fallout 4 by sending Bethesda over 2,000 bottle caps.

The news was posted on Gator’s imgur account, with a response from Bethesda’s global community lead.

According to Grandstaff, since he was the first person to send in bottle caps, a Fallout 4 pre-order would be honored. How could they not? The guy spent years collecting bottle caps, so you have to give the guy props for his perseverance.

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Fallout 4 date revealed mere months away because development is “basically done
Bethesda says it wanted the Fallout 4 reveal to be much more than just your standard game announcement, which tends to promise more details at a later date.

Plus, the team working on Fallout 4 was confident enough to have the game announced just five months from release, according to VP of marketing and PR Pete Hines.

Many game companies, as Games Radar notes, announce a game quite early in order to generate buzz. Sometimes a year or two out. Fallout 4 is mere months away from release, which is a short span of time to generate excitement in the video game industry.

“We felt like we could,” Hines told Games Radar. “If we didn’t feel like that was enough time to generate the excitement that we expected and the interest that we wanted, then we would have announced it earlier. So part of it is because we felt like it was a big enough title that we could get away with it.”

Hines also said it was more “fun” to announce the release date alongside the first trailer, instead of mailing out a press release with a link to a trailer.

Plus, the team is also “pretty close to being done” with development, which is great news for fans who seem to fret over a possible game delay.

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Fallout 4 will have a dozen companions for you to romance
Christopher Livingston- PC Gamer
During the Fallout 4 presentation at Quakecon, Todd Howard revealed that, in addition to Dogmeat, players will have their choice of about a dozen different companions to accompany them through the game (only one at a time, however). In some new gameplay footage, we saw more of Preston Garvey (pictured above), leader of a faction called The Commonwealth of Minutemen," one of your potential companions. We were also introduced to another companion, a woman named Piper, who runs a local newspaper from the ruins of Boston's Fenway Park, now called Diamond City.

Howard also announced that players will be able to romance their companions, regardless of gender. Specific details of how romance will work in Fallout 4 were not revealed, but considering Skyrim allowed players to get married and move in together, it's not hard to imagine Fallout 4 including nuptials and domestic bliss. Howard also said there will be a special perk for those who want to play without companions, stalking the ruins of Boston as a lone wolf, but did not elaborate on what that perk might be.

A clip reel of Mr. Handy saying player names aloud was also shown. While Bethesda recorded over a thousand common names for use in the game, Mr. Handy can also say joke names such as "McFly," "Boobies," and "Fart Face," which will no doubt lead to players experimenting to uncover any other rude names that may have been recorded.

We also got a bit of news about Fallout 4's Perks, which are tied to S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats. Each time you level you get to pick a perk, and there are new perks for each level of S.P.E.C.I.A.L. you gain. There are 70 base perks, and each Perk has multiple ranks, which should give players a lot of options to build their characters.

I wouldn't expect the the video footage associated with this news to be released soon, so you'll have to use your imagination about Fallout 4's companions and perks for now. But we'll have more stories about everything happening at Quakecon today and through this weekend.

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Fallout 4 might have a new repair system (but Bethesda isn't ready to talk about it)
3ClqOfIuOqzF.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

While re-watching the Fallout 4 footage from E3 in advance of QuakeCon, I noticed something missing. When the Pip-Boy is showcased, and the character scrolls through his inventory past his weapons, there's no CND shown on the screen: the little meter on Fallout 3's Pip-Boy that indicates what condition your weapon is in. Same goes for the character's armor and clothing. There's no condition shown during the weapon modding portions of the footage, either

On the other hand, we can see that the character's power armor, while it doesn't have a CND meter, does have a health value:
fPZvJYEs3x2U.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

At Quakecon on Friday, I mentioned this to Pete Hines, VP of Marketing and PR at Bethesda Software, and asked if there had been a change to the repair system. "Not talking about it yet," he said almost before I was done asking.

"So it has changed. It's different?" I asked.

"Todd [Howard] said we're not going to go into details about it yet."

Hmm, okay. In the Fallout 4 footage we saw today, one of the character's weapons was extremely rusty. And the footage also showed that while using the Pip-Boy, you can move your arm around to examine the Pip-Boy from different angles. I asked Hines if the repair system might now be a visual system, where you could look down at the weapon in your hand to determine if it needed fixing based on visual clues.

"Todd said don't talk about it yet," repeated Hines.

Despite the lack of answers, I actually felt relieved that the refusal to discuss the subject was so adamant. They're hiding something, which is good, because I was honestly afraid that the repair system might have been removed altogether.

That would be terrible: we all know the feeling of dismay in Fallout 3 when your favorite weapon starts to deteriorate, the extra scrounging you'll do to find a duplicate weapon to use for parts, the amount of caps you'll give to merchants who can repair your gear for you, and the points you'll spend building up your repair skill so you can perform more competent first-aid on your beloved weapons and armor. The post-apocalypse just wouldn't be the same without the handful of nearly-broken weapons you have to struggle with for your first few levels, right?

If I unearth any more information, which is to say some information at all, I'll be sure to let you know.

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Fallout 4's Todd Howard talks lighting and weather effects in new video

Quakecon is happening, and that means lots of interesting Bethesda titbits are making their way online. For instance, this video—filmed at E3—features Todd Howard talking about the ancillary graphical details that make the world what it is. It's filled with excited talk about lighting and weather effects, if that is the sort of thing you like to hear.

You also get to see a bit of the game in motion, via the accompanying B-roll footage.

Howard is clearly quite proud of the visual effects that his team have achieved, but graphics aren't everything to Bethesda. Pete Hines told Gamesradar that the studio's objective is "almost limitless freedom".

"We push it visually as much as we can, while realising that we are not making a game just for the sake of having it be the best looking game out there," Hines said.

"Everything in the world [is] something tangible - you don’t walk into a room and see lots of stuff and it’s all fake. All the items are actual items. You set off a grenade in a room? It’s going to blow shit around and knock it all over the place. You have to spend cycles and stuff tracking where all of that went, and how it’s going to bounce around."

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Fallout 4 modding tools won't launch in November, says Hines
Shaun Prescott PC Gamer
Fallout 4 is exciting for two reasons: one, that it'll probably be a great game, and two, because we'll be able to mod it. The latter is especially important, but don't expect to start tinkering on November 10. According to Bethesda's Pete Hines speaking to IGN, modding tools won't be available from day one.

"Our entire focus is on finishing the game," Hines said. "Nobody cares about mods if the game sucks. This has always been our philosophy. We shift energy to construction tools, the creation kit, and all of that stuff once the game is done, and we start to figure out what all of that is going to look like."

The studio is focused on getting Fallout 4 polished before its release later this year, and once that's done it'll start focusing on the creation tools. It'll be no easy task, since Xbox One users will also be able to access mods.

"The idea is that [the tools] will work on all platforms, but the truth is the system doesn’t exist. It’s still being built and worked on and it’s going to take awhile. It’s going to take clearly into next year because we can’t even start it..."

The Creation Kit for Skyrim didn't launch alongside the main game either – it came out three months later. Hines didn't offer any specific timeframe for the Fallout 4 tools to release, but at least we know for sure they're coming.

Reaction score
Didn't mods for Skyrim come out before the creation kit? I didn't have a PC at the time but if I remember correctly the nude mods were reported to be made not long after the game released, priorities ftw!

Fallout 3 is my all time favourite game, cannot wait for FO4! No joke I was dreaming with the howling winds of the wasteland for a few weeks when 3 came out, during the day when I wasn't playing it I was planning out my adventures until night came and I was back in the wasteland again.

Friends and family won't be seeing much of me come November 10 and hopefully I have a new all time favourite by the end of November.

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Here's the minimum system specs:
•Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
•Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
•8 GB RAM
•30 GB free HDD space
•NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Gee whizz is it ever time for an upgrade. I miss four gigs of RAM being more than enough, and processors measured in MHz. And simple, easy to understand graphics card numbers. And Freddos that were onl-[Let's move it along - Young Ed]. Meanwhile the recommended camp needs some of this:
•Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
•Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent
•8 GB RAM
•30 GB free HDD space
•NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB/AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

If you're locked in on those, the release times are as follows:
•12:01am Monday, November 10th local time everywhere except...
•Americans will all use EST, so congrats on your earlier night, west coast.
•Asia will be at 12am on Tuesday, November 11th.
•Japan is, uh, a month later at 12am on Thursday, December 17th. Sorry.

In the announcement post, Bethesda have also clarified other details. Naturally they've got gamepad support ready to go on PC and Steam achievements for those of you who love a good popup. It's also mentioned that the companion Pip-Boy app will work on Windows, iOS and Android phones and be available as soon as the 10th rolls around. If you've dropped mad cash on the physical Pip-Boy edition, there's details on which phones will fit in it there too.

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Fallout 4 achievement list looks like spoilers if you squint a bit
by Jeremy Peel PCGamesN

There’s a kind of automatic ARG that occurs with every massive game nowadays, whereby achievement names appear online and we try to guess what on scorched Earth’s going on with them. We’re going to play that game now with Fallout 4, which has some intriguing titles buried among its 51 arbitrary success markers.

The key quest titles collated on
Exophase are particularly ambiguous, although we can guess that ‘Nuclear Family’ might refer to the brief part of Fallout 4 played in pre-bombed Boston, and that ‘Enter The Wasteland’ pops up once you emerge from Vault 111 after the event. The likes of ‘Unlikely Valentine’, ‘Institutionalized’ and ‘Mankind Redefined’? Intrigued, but no idea.

There are achievements for joining factions, namely the Brotherhood of Steel, the Railroad - who featured in Fallout 3 as slave-liberators - and the Commonwealth Minutemen. The image for ‘When Freedom Calls’ appears to show potential companion and Minuteman Preston Garvey in need of rescue.

There are to be at least five different companions, and we can surmise they’ll be more talkative than Fallout 3’s - since it’s possible to reach a ‘Maximum Relationship Level’ with a follower. There are rewards for maintaining macro relationships too - reaching maximum happiness in a large settlement, and allying with three settlements at once.

Beyond that, there’s more confirmation of Bethesda’s commitment to making every object in the game a component part for something. Achievements recognise players who gather 1000 crafting resources, assemble 100 items, and piece together 100 creations in the workshop.

Elsewhere there’s, um, sports. ‘Homerun!’ and ‘Touchdown!’. Red Sox references surely abound.

Most spoilerific of all is ‘Decide the Fate of the Commonwealth’. It seems Boston’s future will be a multiple choice question at the end of the campaign. Are you ready to hop into your boiler suit and answer it?

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
you can start the preload on steam now it is a 23.8 gig download

Krieger88

Reaction score
Is there any way to fool your steam program into thinking it's 11/10 so it unlocks the preload? or does it have to be online to work?

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Is there any way to fool your steam program into thinking it's 11/10 so it unlocks the preload? or does it have to be online to work?

well i do not know of any way of doing that and when midnight hits november 9th for me = i could start to play the game i bet we all find that there will be some other stuff we have to download before the game becomes playable

Krieger88

Reaction score
well i do not know of any way of doing that and when midnight hits november 9th for me = i could start to play the game i bet we all find that there will be some other stuff we have to download before the game becomes playable
Never finished New Vegas but i don't feel like downloading that again.