Trainer Search

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
By Sherif Saed-VG247
DirectX 12 may not be the miracle that some are believing it to be, at least not when it comes to improving the resolution of Xbox One ports.
Damien Monnier, a senior game designer at The Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt RED has revealed through a Twitter conversation with fans that DirectX 12 may not improve the resolution of the game on Xbox One.

Monnier downplayed the resolution difference between Xbox One and PlayStation 4 for The Witcher 3, reiterating previous comments that both versions are the same game.

When one fan asked whether this will improve post-launch when DirectX 12 comes to Xbox One, Monnier revealed that changing the resolution post-launch would require a lot more than just what DirectX 12 can offer.

Monnier later added that despite that, the developer is always working on improving the resolution on Xbox One, but can’t promise any specifics.

It will be interesting to what the situation for games utilising DirectX 12 early, ends up being.

SaGe

Super Donor
Reaction score
ummm.... Most of us will get it on the PC anyway right..? Honestly the games are pretty much Identical. The resolution debate at hand is almost unnoticable by the human eye anyway.
For us to be unable to discern nearby pixels as separate, they have to be at smaller angular distance that our eye's angular resolution. For a human with no vision problems, average is ~ 1' (minute of arc, 1/60 of degree). Thus our ability to discern separate pixels on a display depends not just on its resolution, but also on its size and how far away we are from it. Take any common computer monitor and look at it from f.e. 10m away and you won't be able to discern separate pixels.

Now if we look at some common distances, it's easier to look at pixel densities which are needed to achieve such detail. At a best reading distance, 25 cm, 1' corresponds to pixel density - 350ppi (pixels per inch). F.e. iPhone 4 with its highly advertised "Retina Display" had 3.5" display with 640×960 resolution giving it 326ppi, a bit short of our ideal value, but enough to have unnoticeable pixels for people without absolutely perfect eyesight. Huawei Ascend D2 went for 1920x1080 at 5", giving it 443 ppi, so nobody should be able to discern its pixels without additional optics.

Now, if we want to watch 40" TV from 2m away, we would get unnoticeable pixels at just 44ppi. At such viewing distance 1920x1080 gives us 55ppi, so depending on how close you want to view your TV and how big you want it, we're already there. If you want the same pixel density for 80" TV from 2m away, then incoming 4K UHDTVs with 3840x2160 will do the trick.

Finally, there is a small notice - all above applies to the case when you're watching content at the same resolution as your display. Mismatch of resolution may cause artefacts that can be noticed, even if both display and the content are of very high resolution. Fortunately, in practice, image processing before display is good enough to fix that in most cases.

So basically..
it won't matter. :D

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
first it is nice to see someone actully comment/reply (on any of the dribble/babble that i snitch & post i mean copy and paste ah whatever it is i do :))

#2 when i return to my home planet(if i can only remember where i left it ) i think i will take you with me we could use a few good (hmm human) men like you :D

SaGe

Super Donor
Reaction score
first it is nice to see someone actully comment/reply (on any of the dribble/babble that i snitch & post i mean copy and paste ah whatever it is i do :))

#2 when i return to my home planet(if i can only remember where i left it ) i think i will take you with me we could use a few good (hmm human) men like you :D
I'm Honored! Honestly I kinda love it here. There are some pretty awesome folks here that enjoy a few games that we have in common. I just stared the PC gaming reign.. and honestly.. WHAT THE HECK MADE ME WAIT SOO LONG? (send me your Steam handle) :)

Thanks for your intel & see you on the forums!