Trainer Search

Tuna

Donor
Reaction score
What operating systems do you use?, I personally use a fair few OS's for a varied list of reasons.
The way I am going to lay this op out is in a way to show virtual machines as well.
So here it is.
Main PC: Windows 10 pro(yuck).
VM#1: Arch linux with a budgie desktop environment, using the pacman package manager.
VM#2: Debian linux with the default desktop environment, using the APT(Synaptic) package manager
VM#3: CentOS 7 server desktop environment N/A, using the yum package manager.
VM#4: Kali linux 2.0 default desktop environment, using the APT(Synaptic) package manager. --For penetration and network security tests.
VM#5: Windows 7 pro, sp2. --Sandbox for malware testing, firewall testing and other stuff.
VM#6: Windows Vista pro, sp2. --Sandbox for malware testing, firewall testing and other stuff.
VM#7: Windows XP pro, sp2. --Sandbox for malware testing, firewall testing and other stuff.
VM#8: TunaOS. --Seekrit ;)
2nd desktop: Arch linux with a MATE desktop environment, pacman package manager.
3rd desktop: Centos 6.5 server desktop environment N/A, yum package manager. --selinux pen tests.
1st laptop: Arch linux with a LXDE/Xfce desktop environment, also using the pacman package manager.
2nd laptop: Windows 7 pro, sp2.
3rd laptop: Linux mint, desktop environment is cinnamon, APT(Synaptic) package manager.
Tablet: Windows 8.1 with bing(yuck), It is not the mobile version and it has a desktop environment.
Mobile phone(because why not?): Android 6.0 Marshmallow, rooted.
VM#1: Kali linux 2.0
VM#2: Debian linux.
VM#3: Fedora​
Raspberry PI: Raspbian MATE(Soon to be a XBMC Media Center)

Remote servers:
CentOS 7/6.5 x3
Ubuntu server 14.04.4 x1
Fedora 23 x1

Well this took a while '._. What do you all use? There are probably some that I forgot about/just don't use anymore... Also (almost) all of these are 64bit.

(This list is seriously out of date, and I have more machines running, and along with that, I have different tastes of linux flavours, and with that different Desktop environments and Window managers.)

Last edited:

Ragabonz

The Beard
Staff member
Top Donor
Reaction score
windows 10 pro, customized by my buddy. i quite like it i must admit.

EnterpriseNL

Donor
Reaction score
My own computer runs Windows 10 pro
my dads computer runs Windows 10 Home
and the 2 laptops running windows 7, yeah yeah, they are to slow for it

anc43

Master Donor
Reaction score
Running WIndows 10 Pro at the moment....not sure if I can keep doing so if Microsoft goes to yearly licensing as some suspect they might, though.

Tuna

Donor
Reaction score
I doubt they will make people pay for their bot-net... probably just make it harder and harder to stop it from spying on you.. they make a much bigger profit selling your personal data than they would by selling windows 10. What I'm most concerned about is Microsoft making windows 10 a "walled garden" of sorts. A bit like the iOS app store.

JeremiahLong

Reaction score
I've always used Windows. Never had the need for anything else. I know there are better OS's out there and that Microsoft has been losing ground lately, but still. At least I don't use Internet Explorer :p

Spent a lot of time using Windows XP, it's still my favourite even if it is now defunct. Dabbled a small bit with Vista but thankfully, rode out that storm on the aforementioned XP. Currently using Windows 7 64bit, keep getting updates to upgrade to Windows 10, evensofar as the options being "Upgrade Now" and "Upgrade Tonight" instead of NO.

I owned a laptop with 8 on it, I upgraded it to 8.1 but damn, I stopped using it and eventually gave it away. It wanted me to make an account for everything it seemed, and then link it all together. Not a fan of that at all, don't want all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. One of the reasons I'm keeping away from 10, I don't know if it still acts like 8.1 in regards to the ruthless requirement of leashing everything to a Microsoft Account.

Tuna

Donor
Reaction score
I've always used Windows. Never had the need for anything else. I know there are better OS's out there and that Microsoft has been losing ground lately, but still. At least I don't use Internet Explorer :p

Spent a lot of time using Windows XP, it's still my favourite even if it is now defunct. Dabbled a small bit with Vista but thankfully, rode out that storm on the aforementioned XP. Currently using Windows 7 64bit, keep getting updates to upgrade to Windows 10, evensofar as the options being "Upgrade Now" and "Upgrade Tonight" instead of NO.

I owned a laptop with 8 on it, I upgraded it to 8.1 but damn, I stopped using it and eventually gave it away. It wanted me to make an account for everything it seemed, and then link it all together. Not a fan of that at all, don't want all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. One of the reasons I'm keeping away from 10, I don't know if it still acts like 8.1 in regards to the ruthless requirement of leashing everything to a Microsoft Account.
HAH! even back in the old days they where bad xD
Windows XP was the only operating system from windows that I did not mind, although now it is just out dated and ancient... Windows 7 was good for what it was... but they all reek of kernels from the 90's that have been hardly modified... and quite frankly windows is an embarrassment for Microsoft(Well the entire company is an embarrassment but yeah,). When a phone BSOD's and asks you to insert a disc you know they slack at everything and try to cut as many corners as possible... the nice thing about linux and it being open source is that everyone can participate in the development of the individual distributions thus fixing security issues in record breaking speeds, because people don't have to wait for Microsoft or some other huge corporation like Apple to release a patch. :)

Lucitia

Super Donor
Reaction score
Windows 7x64 Ultimate on my main pc for games and stuff.

Arch Linux dual booted with Linux Mint on my other system.

brandus

Reaction score
Win XP SP3
Win 8 Pro
Win 10 Pro
every system on different hdd, Win 10 i use very rare, sometimes for some new games, noting else

Tuna

Donor
Reaction score
Windows 7x64 Ultimate on my main pc for games and stuff.

Arch Linux dual booted with Linux Mint on my other system.
Ooo an arch user! What was it that made you use arch?
It's got a pretty little niche; but it most certainly fills that niche perfectly... Personally I like to know what is on my computer and have only what I installed, without any other bloat-ware and other general unwanted crap.

I've recently been configuring arch with a BSPWM(A dynamically tiling window manager...), I've played with a lot of WM's and BSPWM is already my favourite.
(Going to be getting a few laptops next month, a Thinkpad x201, and probably a Thinkpad x250-I already dislike that big touchpad and I have not even got it yet!-)

Druark

Donor
Reaction score
Windows 10 Pro here too, originally my reason was just because DX12 but I actually quite like some of the changes they made, and for me at least it is definetly faster than 7 was on my PC.