Trainer Search

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
Microsoft / 20 Mar 2015 -By Seth G. Macy-Via IGN
Yarrrrr out of luck, it seems.

The old adage "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" proves itself once again as Microsoft has clarified its Windows 10 free update policy.

People running pirated versions of Windows were excited to learn that the free Windows upgrade to version 10 also applied to people not running authorized versions of the OS. But in a statement to Ars Technica, a Microsoft spokesperson clarified what the upgrade policy will be for those who are running pirated versions of its software.

"Although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license," the spokesperson said, meaning the slate will not be wiped clean. If you run a pirated version of Windows currently, you'll essentially be upgrading to a non-authorized version of Windows 10.

Those of us with legit copies of Windows, be it Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, will still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Which is pretty incredible on the part of Microsoft, and the freemium model is a part of its strategy to market the Windows ecosystem.

Windows 10 will be coming out this summer and those with legitimate copies can upgrade within the first year of release for no cost. Microsoft has yet to release a firm release date or a price for its next OS

Last edited:

Sycoshaman

Junior Staff
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info man.

Tho, I think using a pirated copy of an OS (aside from maybe a UNIX based OS), especially Windows, isn't a good idea.

For those who have legal Win 8 and Win 8.1, its just going to be an update last time i read an article on microsoft

jackdazipper

Reaction score
Isn't there something about a subscription for the updates to windows 10? I think I crossed an article that stated that but closed out of it too quickly to remember.

tal onzy

Donor
Reaction score
well a month or so ago on a windows website there was a article about you could sign up for a possible chance of getting the windows 10 update for free but lets say a month later it has turned into being like it is now that everyone using win7-8 will be getting the so-called update for free . who knows there is still time for them to change their mind .