I've got bad experience with cheat engine. Got similar advice once: search for a value and change it. Yet I couldn't find it.
Didn't know about level scaling. Guess I need inf money cheat to have a full party.
I don't have the proper equipment to record a short video to show you how easy it is to cheat with Cheat Engine in this game but I can spare the time to try to write the proper steps and hopefully you will manage it (because you are right that sometimes using cheat engine isn't as easy as people make it out to be but in the case of this game it really is).
1. Launch Cheat Engine.
2. Launch Demons Age
3. I recommend you start a new game as it would be easier to follow my guide this way. Pick any difficulty level you like (I started on suicidal mode) as it's the same for all of them. Wait until the intro finishes and you are on the beach. Save your game to make sure you can go back to it if you make a mistake. Then click the plaque on the left with "The Wave Tamer" (the name of the ship) as reading it will give you 25 XP. Then Alt+Tab back to Cheat Engine.
4. In Cheat Engine click on the icon with the magnifying glass over a computer (it's on the upper left part of the interface) and select Demons Age and click open. Now you are ready to begin.
5. In the upper right interface you have the Value box in which you can enter the value you like to search. Enter 25 in this box and click First Scan (check the Value Type under the search box, it should be 4 bytes by default but if it isn't then click on it and select 4 Bytes from the menu). Now you have a bunch of addresses (displayed to the left of the search box) all with the value 25. Alt+Tab back to Demons Age.
6. I advise you not to loot any of the barrels and chest yet because we need the to cheat for gold. So move a little further down the beach until you find the broken ship hull and on it if you look carefully is another book you can click on (the captains log). Doing so gives you another 25XP so now you have 50XP in total. Alt+Tab back to Cheat Engine.
7. Enter 50 in the search box and click Next Scan. Now on the left were you previously had many addresses showing 25 you only have only one showing 50. Double click on it to add it to the edit window in the lower part of the Cheat Engine interface. Now double click on 50 and change it to 900000000 and click Ok. Now Alt+Tab back to the game and open the inventory screen and voila! - you now have 900000000 XP and you will earn a new level every time you earn XP (regardless if it's defeating an enemy, reading a book or completing a quest).
8. Let's get started on the gold cheat. Go back to the starting area (with the dead ship captain) and start looting crates until you get your first gold loot (one of the chests gives you 5 gold). Once you get 5 gold switch back to Cheat Engine and click on New scan then enter 5 in the searchbox (which should still show 50 from your previous search) and click First Scan. After the addresses show up on the left Alt+Tab back to the game.
10. Loot more chests and barrels until you get another 3 gold making your total 8 gold (the loot is not randomly generated in this game as far as I can tell, so you should get exactly the same loot from the same chests each time you start a game). Alt+Tab back to cheat engine and enter 8 in the search box and click Next Scan. Then Alt+Tab back to the game and loot the last of the chests and barrels and you should only get 1 more gold raising your total to 9 gold. Alt+Tab back to Cheat Engine and enter 9 in the search box and click Next Scan. You should now get 3 addresses on the left side of the interface, double click on the first one to add it to the edit window (like you previously did for the XP address) and double click on 9 and change it to whatever you want your gold to be (i recommend something with at least 7 digits as I've told you the level and price of hiring companions scales with your level and since you are going to reach the level cap of 20 by the time you even get the chance to reach the first inn and hire companions you can imagine it will be quite expensive to hire a full roster of lvl 20 companions).
11. Should you want to modify HP (not really needed IMO unless you are playing on suicidal mode or want to play only with your main character without any companions in which case the enemies will gang up on you and you will die regardless of you being level 20 - because the enemies scale and will also be lvl. 20) it's easy to do. Just remember not to use the health fountains if you've modified your HP as that will reset the value to the maximum HP that is set for your level. To edit HP just switch back to Cheat Engine and click New Scan then enter your HP in the search box (mine was 15 but it varies depending on which character you chose to start the game with) and click First Scan. Switch back to the game and move along the beach until you enter combat with the 2 Fish. Take some damage (they hit for 1 HP usually) then switch to Cheat Engine and enter the new value in the search box (I took 1 damage so I entered 14) and click Next Scan. Switch back to the game and take some more damage (i took 1 leaving me with 13HP) switch back to cheat engine and enter the new HP value in the search box and click Next Scan. By now you should be left with only one address on the left so double click that then double click the value and change it like you did for XP and gold to whatever you like. Switch back to the game and voila you are practically invincible as long as you don't use the health fountains. The Value also remains even after you exit game and load your save again so you don't need to edit it every time you start playing again. You can edit the HP for each of your companions using the above method if you like but IMO it's not worth it.
There you have it, really easy to do. Hopefully it will work for you because I'd hate to have wasted my time writing this guide. Have fun!